Live streaming is becoming popular these days and people like you and me want to live to stream their gaming experience or just want Netflix and chill. To do either of these tasks, you must invest in a good laptop which should have good specifications and could last for at least a couple of years. After doing my extensive research, I have listed the 10 best laptops that give them the freedom to stream anything they want.
Before we talk about any laptops, I want to discuss some important things which are essential for choosing the right laptop for live streaming.
What Are The Important Specs A Good Streaming Laptop Should Have?
So I have noted before, streaming is all about multi-tasking, which taxes your machine a lot. Here is what to look for when browsing for a streaming laptop:
- CPU – You want your computer to have good core speed, but also to have enough cores for multi-tasking. Therefore it is a good idea to go quad-core or up. Don’t go for dual-core processors, it’ll surely mess you up.
- RAM – Random Access Memory (RAM) is another spec that directly impacts multi-tasking, and is the “acceleration” part of the machine. You want to have enough RAM to ensure that your stream runs smoothly even after hours of running. Don’t dare to go under 4GB, but if you really want top performance, pick 8GB or more. As for the generation, try to go for DDR4, but a good amount of DDR3 will do just fine. You can read the difference between DDR3 and DDR4 on Beebom If you want more information.
A 16 or 32GB RAM will make your day more smooth but If you don’t have that kind of budget, then it is perfectly fine to go with 8GB.
A 16 or 32GB RAM will make your day more smooth but If you don’t have that kind of budget, then it is perfectly fine to go with 8GB.
- SSD – Picking a Solid State Drive (SSD) over HDD is a no-brainer for laptops. The number one reason why is durability; SSD is more likely to survive occasional drops.
- The only drawback of SSD is the price, they are more expensive. However, because your goal is to stream from your laptop, you can store the content externally, or in the cloud. Picking SSD will guarantee maximal speeds, which is all you want. Don’t be too obsessed with the size; if you need more space, choose a laptop with a smaller SSD that also has an HDD.
- GPU – Having a powerful graphics card is important, as streaming is somewhat graphics intensive. However, if you are not planning to stream gaming, the GPU shouldn’t be your primary concern. If you do plan, then it is an absolute must to have a dedicated GPU, the integrated one in your CPU is just not good enough for streaming.
For gaming, 4GB of RAM is minimal, but you can go for more if you have a higher budget.
- Price – As I said, when choosing a laptop for streaming, it is not the best decision to only look for the cheapest one. If you can’t afford a decent machine right now, maybe it is a better idea to save up some more, than to buy the cheapest laptop out there and start some stutter-filled, poor-quality streaming.
The Other specs:
The above hardware specifications are the most important for streaming, and you should base your choice on them. But here are some other features that are not vital, but still matter when choosing a laptop:
- Battery life – While the battery is not that important for streaming, it is a good idea to have a laptop that gives you a fair amount of independence. Sometimes you might need to stream when power sockets are not available, and having a computer that won’t shut down after 15 minutes is always good.
- Display size – The size of your screen will determine the amount of comfort you have while using your machine, so pick it carefully. It also dictates the laptop size, and if you plan to move it frequently, don’t pick something too big.
- Weight – While the number one thing you want from your live streaming laptop is the raw performance, its weight is a factor. Especially if this laptop is your primary machine, that you carry around often, if that is the case, pick something up to 4-5 pounds. But never choose size over performance, unless you absolutely have to.
- Keyboard and touchpad – If you are using the laptop for work, you will probably want it to have a numeric keypad on the side. You might also consider a backlit keyboard which will allow you to type at low late nights. And although you may want a responsive touchpad, it is always a better option to use a mouse anyway, as it lets you multitask quickly.
- Webcam – Because you will probably want yourself in the shot from time to time, choosing a laptop with a decent webcam is a smart thing to do. But don’t focus too much on this. If the camera quality is low, you can always get an external. They are not that expensive anyway. You can get that for just $20 from a well-known brand Logitech.
- Sound and Mic – While every laptop has a mic, it is a much better option to get a dedicated headset. The audio quality will be much better, and if you stream gaming, you will need to hear your teammates and opponent footsteps anyway.
So, these are some things which you need to keep while buying a laptop for live streaming.
This laptop from ASUS is an absolute streaming beast. It is expensive, there is no denying that, and at $1599, it is the second most expensive model on the list. But trust me, it delivers, and you do get what you pay for.
This laptop has an outstanding 17.3-inch display. IPS-level, 144Hz refresh rate combined with 3ms response time, all this will give you an edge over your opponents, making this laptop especially good for FPS games. In fact, the name “Scar” is inspired by a weapon, and the whole idea behind this laptop was to create the best FPS notebook on the market. While your viewers don’t care about your display, they do care about your score, and this display will certainly make it better, thus your stream more interesting.
Like the laptop from above, the ROG Strix Scar Edition has an Intel Core i7-8750H, which is a state of the art processor, and you can’t ask for more, this is the best it gets. It is perfect for heavy gaming and streaming sessions, and it will never run out of horsepower, no matter how hard you strain it.
Also considering that this laptop has 16GB of DDR4 RAM, no matter how many programs you open at the same time, it will still run flawlessly. ASUS ROG Strix Scar Edition does not lack physical storage as it has both a 256GB ultra-fast SSD and 1TB Firecuda, to store all of your data.
This ASUS notebook has a terrific graphics card, GeForce GTX 1070, with 8 GB of VRAM. This is one of the best graphics cards any laptop has, fully capable of delivering the highest detail while retaining maximal energy efficiency. It even has VR capabilities and DirectX 12 support, which will make your stream tower the competitors.
Tip: If you want to know about more laptops which are VR-ready, then you should definitely take a look at this post.
To make this laptop even more FPS-ready, ASUS gave it a desktop-like keyboard. Customizable RGB, as well as ergonomic keycaps with a unique design to allow more actions per minute will improve your performance, which will show in the total frag count. N-key rollover will ensure that your keyboard never stands in your way. Again, something that is guaranteed to improve your scores, something your subscribers will appreciate.
The laptop weighs around 6.5 lbs (2.9 kg) which is very heavy even for gaming laptops. If you are planning to use it only in your home or any permanent place and don’t travel with this laptop, then you won’t have any issues with this heavy machine.
The battery can last up to 3-4 hours with general usage and around 2-2.5 hours while doing any tasks such as live streaming etc. This is one of the disappointing aspects of this laptop in my opinion.
At last, I just want to say this is a very good laptop for streaming games, Netflix, music or anything at a reasonable price.
Check this video to learn more:
- Smooth performance with the help of faster SSD and processor.
- Great display.
- Customizable RGB keyboard.
- Very heavy.
- Battery life should have been better.
HP Omen is one of the finest gaming laptops HP has to offer, a premium laptop that is ideal for streaming. It is not cheap, but it is not too expensive either and does a lot for the money.
The laptop comes with an excellent anti-glare screen, 15.6 inches, with narrow bezels for ultimate performance and looks. The build quality of this machine is great and the metal gaming keyboard will make your streaming job easier and interesting.
This laptop also comes with an Intel Core i7-8750H CPU, like the two from above, and it needs no introduction. With six cores and 2.2 GHz- 4.1 GHz, it has enough muscle to carry any streaming and gaming task without breaking a sweat.
This Omen comes with 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz RAM, which you can further upgrade with two more sticks. As for the storage, you have 128GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD, and 1TB 7200 RPM HDD space, which basically means you will never run out of space, even if you decide to store all of your past streaming sessions on your laptop.
The GPU in this one is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB of DDR5 RAM. This graphics card is capable of delivering the best performance no matter what the game it is. You will be able to play even high demanding programs or games with ease on this GPU.
What makes this laptop special is its unique cooling system. Fluid dynamic bearing, 3-phase motor fan will keep everything cool, which will not only guarantee performance during long streaming sessions but also longevity. Also, this laptop is easily upgradeable, as it allows single-panel access to RAM and storage. Because games require more and more power each year, knowing that you can add extra horsepower to your machine means that you will be able to stream from it even in the future.
To make your gaming experience sublime, HP Omen has an anti-ghosting keyboard, RGB backlit, with WASD Buttons that stand out from many modern laptops. It also has full-sized arrow keys, which are more critical in gaming than regular use.
Again, you can get around 2-3 hours of battery life while streaming anything. You can expect a little while performing any low demanding tasks such as browsing or using MS Office.
Overall, this is a very good laptop for live streaming at this price point. I would definitely recommend this machine who are looking to get one at this budget.
Watch the below video by TechSource to know more about this amazing laptop.
- Great build quality.
- Reasonably priced.
- Nice cooling system.
- Fans are little loud while playing games but it is quite usual for gaming laptops.
The CPU inside the machine is Intel Core i5-8250U, though it isn’t that great compared to the i7s but is a decent choice for multi-tasking. The processor is combined with 8GB DDR3 which can be upgraded up to 32GB. As I said, multitasking isn’t at all a problem for this guy.
If you are looking to get the best laptop for streaming Netflix or twitch at an affordable price, then this is a machine that you can not miss to purchase.
- Very affordable.
- Dedicated GPU at this price.
- Amazing battery life.
- The display could be better.
Sometimes money is scarce, and there is no way of going around the ultra-tight budget. Here I have a solution for you, a Chromebook from Acer R11. If you are not planning to stream the latest games, it might just do the job. It costs less than $300 which I guess is affordable for many people.
Keep in mind that a Chromebook isn’t like your traditional laptop. It can run only If you have an internet connection. You’ll be able to do anything in Google Chrome but you can’t install most of the program as you do in a Windows laptop. Read more about a Chromebook here.
This Chromebook comes with an 11.6-inch IPS display which is bright and decent enough for everyday usage. You can’t ask for a top-class display at a very cheap price. The plastic build on this machine is quite decent I would say.
Although on paper the specs don’t seem astounding i.e Intel Celeron N3150 Quad-Core processor, 32GB eMMC, and 4GB RAM. Like I said this is a Chromebook, which means it is maximally optimized for browsing and is really fast.
This laptop has one cool feature, as it can bend over backward since it has a 360-degree hinge. This is great for day-to-day use, but it won’t do you much good in streaming. The overall design is superb, as it has a premium aluminum top panel and unique pattern that helps the grip.
Unfortunately, it only has integrated graphics, which will make streaming games a little difficult. Acer Chromebook R11 weighs only 2.8 lbs (1.2 kg) which is extremely lightweight and portable. If you have been looking for a portable laptop from this list, then this might a good option for you.
- Affordable pricing.
- Decent performance.
- Can’t install Windows program.
The Dell G5 is a well-balanced gaming laptop from Dell and is one of the best ones they offer. However, it is a terrific pick for streaming too, that’s why I have added this to the list. The 15.6-inch will never disappoint and neither will its build quality. Both are decent for their pricing I would say.
This laptop also comes with an Intel Core i7-8750H CPU, which is currently the best gaming laptop have to offer. If you want to game and stream, this is the CPU you should get. Alongside that, the Dell G5 has 16GB of DDR4 RAM, and also 256 GB SSD, accompanied by 1TB of 5400 RPM HDD space. So memory-wise, Dell G5 has all the bells ringing, more than enough for streaming purposes. You can’t expect a great performance from HDD but the SSD will make your performance a lot faster.
The graphics card Dell has offered on this machine is GeForce GTX 1050TI with 4GB VRAM. It will not stand in your way, but it is not as powerful as 1060 or 1070, especially considering it only has 4GB of memory. For streaming, it is decent, but it is not particularly powerful for playing heavy games.
The battery lasts around 5-6 hours of heavy usage which is excellent in my opinion. It can last a little longer If you lower the brightness or use it for small tasks. Overall, this is a laptop with a good battery life which is quite rare in a gaming laptop.
For $1000 bucks, you are getting one of the best laptop to stream anything which is a great deal in my opinion.
Check this video to learn more:
- Powerful CPU.
- Decent display and build.
- Dell should have offered a better GPU at this price.
Razor is one of the few companies in the world which focus mainly on building gaming products and they have done a pretty good job by delivering the amazing Razer Blade 15. Though it is expensive, it is surely one of the best laptops for live streaming which falls under the premium category.
The Razer Blade 15 comes with a 15.6-inch full HD display which is a 144Hz Panel. The display is excellent and offers great color accuracy. When it comes to the build quality, Rob has mentioned that it is equivalent to the MacBook Pro which is a great thing I would say.
Just like many other high-end laptops on this list, the Razer Blade 15 also comes with Intel Core i7-8750H which will be very helpful while streaming. If you have got bored with the praises for this CPU, don’t worry. This is the last laptop with this processor. The 16GB DDR4 RAM is more than you will ever need, and no stream will ever stutter with this machine. But if you find the specs insufficient for whatever reason, you will be glad to know that the RAM is expandable up to 64GB, and the storage up to 2TB, making options unlimited.
The Graphics Card that comes with Blade 15 is RTX 2070 Max-Q which has 8GB of GDDR6 VRAM. This is a power-saving GPU capable of delivering excellent performance. If you are currently using GTX 1060 or 1070, then this might the right choice for you for an upgrade.
One of the best features this gaming beast has is its size; considering all it has to offer, it is absolutely tiny! It is only 0.70 inches thick, its aluminum body weighing only 4.6 lbs (2.1 kg). It isn’t very lightweight or portable but you can travel with this machine occasionally which won’t be a problem.
The battery life on this laptop is pretty mediocre. You can get around 8 hours of lightweight usage and 2-3 hours while playing games, streaming, or doing any heavy tasks.
- Stunning display and build.
- Top-notch performance.
- Of course, expensive.
MacBook needs no introduction, and like all other Apple products, it is characterized by phenomenal looks and build quality, and ultra-optimized performance.
The MacBook Air comes with a 13.3-inch Retina display which is one of the best in the business and provides good color accuracy and viewing angles are also amazing on this display. The build quality is also very good on this machine. This laptop weighs only 2.7 lbs (1.2 kg) which is extremely lightweight and easily portable.
This MacBook Air has Intel 8th generation Core i5, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD. However, because this is macOS, expect a lot more from the hardware. Apple products never stutter, and they remain the same after years of use. And yes, years of use is exactly what you can expect, even with intensive daily streaming.
Apple has redesigned its keyboard, and it has a new butterfly mechanism, which is the company’s trademark. It feels like nothing else, providing unmatched comfort, and great responsiveness. It’s awesome for gaming, and for regular use. The keyboard has an ambient light sensor, which will always provide the best experience.
This MacBook Air has a Force Touch trackpad, 20% larger, and also has a Touch ID, allowing you to use your fingerprint to unlock it. Although you won’t use a trackpad while gaming or streaming, it’s always good having a decent trackpad.
The MacBook Air is also famous for another great thing i.e Battery life. Apple claims that it can last up to 12 hours while doing any less demanding tasks such as browsing, Word Processing, etc but Kevin has got up to 15 hours. Well, that’s too optimistic but it is fair to expect 10-12 hours of lightweight usage and 3-4 hours while streaming. Still, this is one of the best in the market I would say.
- Lightweight and portable.
- Smooth performance.
- No dedicated GPU.
The laptop has a 15.6-inch Full HD IPS display that I consider being okay for its price The Nitro 5 comes with an Intel Core i5-8300H processor, which is a bit better than what you can find in E15.
The travel distance is 1.6mm and feels perfect. It has a backlit keyboard that really looks cool.
This laptop has a battery life of around 3-4 hours .
Overall, I’m impressed with the value this laptop provides and I have to say this is one of the top laptops for live streaming anyone can get right now.
- Good value for money.
- Good performance.
The last laptop on this is again from a reputed brand i.e Asus. The VivoBook Pro 17 is a good option, as it stays below $1000, and if you want to find something at a moderate price with a large display and good performance, I would highly recommend you take a look at this laptop.
This VivoBook Pro comes with a 17.3-inch IPS display which is crisp and offers good brightness. The build is rigid and is decent for its pricing. The laptop weighs 4.6 lbs (2.1 kg) which is the same as Razer Blade 15. Again, it isn’t lightweight but traveling with this machine occasionally won’t be a problem.
This laptop has an i7 processor, which is excellent considering the price. However, this is Intel Core i7-8550U, a less powerful option than the one you can find in the premium models on this list (8750H). This is a quad-core, with 1.8 GHz, and can go up to 4GHz in turbo mode, more than decent for a streaming session. It also has 8GB DDR4 memory and the storage of 256GB SSD +1TB 5400 HDD.
However, the GPU here is lacking. It is only GeForce MX150, the same one you can find in a much cheaper Acer Aspire E 15 I’ve reviewed earlier. It’s not bad but is nothing compared to the one Acer Nitro 5 has, a laptop that is a bit cheaper than the ASUS VivoBook Pro 17. These two are compromises- if you want a better GPU, you can get the Nitro 5, and if CPU is more important, you get VivoBook.
You can get around 4 hours of battery life which is again not that but it is the same case for many gaming laptops out there in the market. Asus should have done a better job at this.
- Large display might be helpful while streaming.
- Reasonably priced.
- GPU could have been better.
As you can see there are lots of great laptops in the market which you can consider for your live stream experience. I have tried to share amazing laptops in different price categories so that you can choose them easily. You can choose any of these Best Laptops for Live Streaming according to your budget and you won’t have any issues with them. If you feel I have missed out any amazing laptop, do share it in the comments below. I’ll try to add them to people who are looking for one. Thank You.